Global Pharmaceutical Maker
Global Pharmaceutical Maker
Management of the EHS management system for Japan (Corporate, non-Manufacturing) by leading the planning and the implementation of all EHS/Occupational Health programs, in alignment with global directives and policies. Responsible for leading the EHS/Occupational Health programs for the Head Office, Remote Offices and for activities within the Field.
● Ensure that the operation complies fully with all Japanese National/Local Environment, Occupational Health and Safety regulations and current EHS Global Policies, Directives and Procedures.
● Interact with the global EHS Team and implement all EHS Directives and Policies.
● Represent Global EHS as the Subject Matter Expert for Crisis Management and Emergency Response within Japan.
● Develop and enhance the Japan Crisis Management and Emergency Response Plans and partner with cross-functional teams to ensure critical controls are implemented across the organization.
● Maintain current knowledge and expertise in Japanese regulations in addition to current industry best practices through benchmarking and external engagement.
● Design, develop and implement Environmental Health and Safety programs designed to minimize employee exposure to workplace stressors for the Japan Head Office, Regional Offices and for Sales Force Operations. These programs include but are not limited to the following activities:
Occupational Health and Safety programs and initiatives, Driver Safety, Environmental Permits, reporting and compliance, Ergonomics, Office Safety and Sustainability, Fire Protection and Site Emergency, Contractors Safety.
● Develop robust inclusive relationships with HQ staff, Regional Field Sales personnel and Country teams to ensure effective cross-functional collaboration and engagement.
● Partner across the organization, in particular with the Facilities Team, Corporate Security and Global Real Estate to ensure adherence to EHS requirements during office selection, renovations and during day-to-day operations.
● Plan and coordinate environmental permit applications environmental reports and sustainability.
● Manage routine deployment of site emergency response team. Provide 24/7 emergency response capability for Head Office and ensuring effective plans at Regional Offices.
● Interface with local regulatory agency officials.
● Represent company during inspections, audits and environmental compliance. Conduct EHS training required by Global EHS Programs and local regulatory agencies.
● Manage Japan Occupational Health Program
● Manage Occupational Heath Nurse whose is the SME for occupational health within Japan.
● Partner with Human Resources Team to ensure all aspects of the local laws relating to Occupational Health are complied with.
● Supervise and support the implementation of a Well-being program for Japan.
● Manage Office Safety Program.
● Implement Ergonomics program including office and automobile evaluations.
● Manage Driver Safety program. Assist and advise in the selection of Field Sales vehicles.
● Manage Contractor Safety program.
● Manage and maintain EHS record-keeping systems to track incidents, training and corrective actions. Manage workers compensation cases, including return to work program implementation.
● Coordinates the waste management program including identification and evaluation of properly licensed hazardous and medical waste disposal firms. Maintain liaison with ● Facilities, Engineering and operating departments to facilitate design and implementation of site projects with EHS impacts.
● Bachelor’s degree in Health, Safety, Environmental Sciences or related scientific technical field.
● 10 years of experience in Environment, Health and Safety required with a track record to implement EHS programs successfully in a dynamic corporate environment.
● Experience Preparing and Implementing Emergency Response/Crisis Management plans.
● Knowledge of environmental and safety principles/regulations and Health Standards.
● Knowledge of EHS Management systems such as ISO 45001 and ISO 14001:2004.
● Experience of Managing Occupational Health personnel and programs is a plus, but not a requirement.
● The successful candidate must be able to perform to a high level across a matrix organization, as well as having the skills and personality to motivate, encourage and develop a high performing EHS team.
● This position requires a person who possesses a growth mindset, who champions inclusiveness, with a personality that places a high importance on integrity and accountability.
● Since this role is managed from the US, the successful candidate shall be self-motivated and highly capable of taking the initiative with issues that arise in Japan.
● The individual must be able to effectively communicate, both orally and in written format, to all levels of supervision.
● Ability to develop proactive programs with the judgment and skill to implement in a timely fashion is critical. Proven ability to direct, manage, motivate, lead and negotiate with diverse population and multi-functional teams.
● Response to emergencies and major incidents must evoke confidence and ability to respond to rapidly changing situations. Demonstrate a working knowledge of applicable regulations with an ongoing update of information as regulations change. Demonstrated capability in managing multiple projects/tasks, effectively prioritizing tasks, communicating project/task status and ensuring timely closure of assignments. Demonstrated capabilities in effective negotiations, influencing, advocacy and presentations to all levels. Strengths in customer service and cooperative teaming.
● Fluent spoken and written Japanese/English.